Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:25:44 -0500
From:      Ted Goranson <tedg@alum.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Book recommendation (again)

I am a complete newbie, with only the most superficial (ie Fedora) experience.

I have 5.3 and am stuck. I'd like to find a book that helps me with
just a few things, but: for someone not a systems administrator who
wants to set up a workstation.

As an example of the level needed, where I'm stuck is I don't know
how to configure X from the incredibly primitive default setup.

I wish to install and configure Fluxbox and Fluxspace, set up Emacs
with all sorts of goodies (got sufficient docs on that excepting
using ports), and vnc (or similar) from OSX.

The online handbook wasn't helpful for my first problem. Complete
FreeBSD, Absolute BSD, and Design and Implementation seem targeted
toward admins and server setups. Am I wrong?

Best, Ted
--
Ted Goranson
Advanced Enterprise Research Office