Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:41:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: acroread on the amd64

Ernst W. Winter <ewinter@ewinter.org> wrote:
 > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Acroread is a _lot_ faster than those, especially with
 > > anti-aliasing enabled.  I've had a complex document
 >
 > As I said I don't know as I never needed nor used it.
 >
 > > (containing lots of detailed maps and graphics) which
 > > gv took more than two minutes to render, while Acroread
 > > took 10 seconds.  Also, I've had several cases where
 >
 > Please send me some as I never had any problems with that either, so
 > it would be nice to see it and gain the experience.

Something which I've been using a lot recently:  The new
public transport map of munich.  You can download it here:
http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archiv/objects/download/1/vlp_041212_stadt.pdf

For a short test, zoom into the center of the city (so that
the blue rectangle in the center is displayed full-screen).
Acroread finishes after 18 seconds on my machine, gv takes
several minutes.  (This is on a remote X connection which
is tunneled through ssh, using 1280 x 1024 pixels at 32 bit
truecolor.  Using a local X server and/or lower resolution
or lower color-depth should be faster, I guess.)

But also simple documents make a difference.  This is a
4-page flyer from Sandisk that I looked at recently:
http://www.sandisk.com/pdf/retail/retail-product-info-guide.pdf

Acroread displays each page in about 2 to 3 seconds (full-
screen), while gv takes about 7 to 8 seconds.

 > > gv etc. did not render a document properly, most of the
 > > time it had to do with overlapping elements which were
 > > rendered in the wrong order.  Acroread has never any
 > > such problems.
 >
 > Again, it would be nice to see it as I said I never had such
 > problems, so please enlighten me or send me something so I can see
 > what you mean and which type of documents.

I don't have one at hand right now (and I don't feel like
testing all of my collected PDF files with gv), but there
definitely have been such cases.  In the worst case, gv
ends up with an empty page (or a page that is all red or
whatever), because it paints the background last.

Uhm, I think this is getting somewhat off-topic here.  :-)

But anyway, it would be very nice to have Linux/i386 compa-
tibility working on FreeBSD/amd64 so that Acroread, Opera
and others can be used.

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980