Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:48:15 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/icu Makefile

On Thursday 25 November 2004 06:56 am, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
= >   So this was not a fluke on my machine. intltest does hang more
= >   often, than it does not and a thread-guru should take a closer
= >   look.
= >
= >   Modify the port to make `intltest' part optional, while running
= >   through other vendor's tests. Vendor is notified --

= I'll bet it hangs with libpthread, and seems to work okay with libc_r.

Try it. The port obeys PTHREAD_LIBS and PTHREAD_CFLAGS settings (or
should). Once it builds, do

	`make intltest'

no need to even install the thing. ICU documents some issues threading
and on Solaris -- due, supposedly, to unsafe sleep/usleep there:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/icu/readme.html?tag=release-3-2#ImportantNotesSolaris

It would be great to resolve this -- FreeBSD's threading or ICU or both
will benefit. Thanks!

	-mi