Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:58:26 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
Cc:        acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: suspend/resume improved?

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Mon, 06.12.2004 at 17:49:06 -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
>
>>It's pretty straightforward but arduous work.  First strip down your
>>system, removing all drivers except for the hard drive and keyboard (no
>>USB, network, etc.)  Don't run X.  Try S3.  If it works, add back in
>>drivers until it fails.
>>[Resume not working]
>
> What can I do, if entering S3 immediately reboots the Laptop (Dell
> Inspiron 8600c)? Any output I could capture before it resets itself?
>
> Ulrich Spoerlein

Add an infinite loop at various points in the suspend process until it
hangs but doesn't reset.  Start with the end of the first function below
and work your way backwards.  Once you identify the exact place the
reset occurs, we can figure out why.  Use boot -s to keep from having to
fsck on each reset or hang.

AcpiEnterSleepState():sys/contrib/dev/acpica/hwsleep.c
acpi_sleep_machdep():sys/i386/acpica/acpi_wakeup.c
acpi_SetSleepState():sys/dev/acpica/acpi.c.

C infinite loop:
foo:  goto foo;

ASM infinite loop:
foo:  jmp foo