Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:14:50 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'dynamic' options questions

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:14:24AM -0500, Brian Reichert wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:55:29PM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > I'm still not decided on whether to start a completely fresh jail on
> > each package rebuild, or just use portupgrade for the non-complete
> > desktop upgrades and only 'reset' the jail for GNOME 2.6 -> 2.8
> > alike transitions.
>=20
> I was planning on a fresh jail myself.  Strictly experimental; I
> have no idea how practical it would be.

I'm mainly considering build time here. If I have to rebuild my jail for ev=
ery
package the time to build a full set will increase by an order of magnitude.
Hmm, maybe something like mount_null would allow me to reset a jail pretty
fast...

In the meantime just using portupgrade in the jail does work, I'm still
tweaking the set of packages to build though, and how to automate this.

Also I ran into a nice side effect of building in a jail yesterday, in which
the linux-base_8 port needs to 'mknod' a device node, which is not possible=
 in
a jail. I made a workaround where the build user can ssh back into the host
using an empty passphrase and then use sudo to mknod the device at the corr=
ect
place. Talk about the long way around...

> Good luck, anyway...

The same to you.

Cheers,

--Stijn

--=20
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.  It's
just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--