Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:42:40 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Nikolaj Hansen <nikolaj.hansen@barnabas.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 and vinum upgrade #2

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 19:00 +0100, Nikolaj Hansen wrote:

> I also do not think it belongs in the stable branch just yet :-D Any hope
> of you fixing the old vinum in the 5.3 branch or is it a wait for the 5.4?

AFAIK, the old vinum will *never* be "fixed" in the 5.3 branch or any
subsequent branch, so don't hold your breath for 5.4.  The fact that it
wasn't being fully GEOM-ified (and hence was dying from neglect in 5.x)
was the whole reason for Lukas to embark on geom_vinum.

Geom_vinum *is* vinum for all intents and purposes, from this point on.
The alternative to not having geom_vinum in the stable branch would be
not to have vinum support at all.

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: If you're unhappy with geom_vinum stability and performance, and
you're using it mainly to do software RAID 1 (as opposed to using it for
its LVM features), you might consider using geom_mirror instead.  I
converted one of my root-on-geom_vinum mirrored systems over to a
bootable geom_mirror.  (I did it in-place, too.)  Right now, geom_mirror
will load-balance reads across disks, whereas geom_vinum does not, which
is something in geom_mirror's favour.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa