Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2004 13:37:31 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Manpage interpreter

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2004-12-23 22:04, David Benfell <co@trek.parts-unknown.org> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:02:49 -0800, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
>>

>>>I don't think there is any such thing as an interpreter, per se, but
>>>if there is something confusing about a manpage, you can ask.
>>>

>>It's even been known to happen that man pages can get revised (though
>>I think my experience with this was with OpenBSD).
>>

>This happens with FreeBSD all the time too.  When something is
>confusing, and the freebsd-doc team learns about it, we do try to reword
>the confusing parts, even rewrite entire sections of the manpages.
>
>The important bit here is that we have to be told what *is* confusing :)
>
>- Giorgos

Ok here you go,
1. The man page for nice is misleading, it says to use "nice -n num#
command" but we all know that won't work "nice: Badly formed number." it
should say "nice -/+num# command"

2. Secion 7.2.3 (Utilizing Multiple Sound Sources) implies that
hw.snd.maxautovchans is only usefull for kernel loadable sound modules,
this is not true:

"To set the number of virtual channels, there are two sysctl knobs
which, if you are the root user, can be set like this:

# sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
# sysctl hw.snd.maxautovchans=4

The above example allocates four virtual channels, which is a practical
number for everyday use. hw.snd.pcm0.vchans is the number of virtual
channels pcm0 has, and is configurable once a device has been attached.
hw.snd.maxautovchans is the number of virtual channels a new audio
device is given when it is attached using kldload(8). Since the pcm
module can be loaded independently of the hardware drivers,
hw.snd.maxautovchans can store how many virtual channels any devices
which are attached later will be given."