Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:14:57 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        mess-mate <messmate@free.fr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file roo large !!

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 07:37 pm, mess-mate wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:46:51 +1030
>
> Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:07 am, mess-mate wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > > this is not new I think, but it is for me.
> > > I've searching the net without concrete results.
> > > So, I've copied from an ext3fs a backup file ( home.tar.bz2)
> > > in my home dir. So long it's ok.
> > > But now I've to cp or mv this file to a new ext3fs partition.
> > > And I've an error message " File too large" and stops the transfer.
> > > This file is about 24GB and 21GB are copied before the stop.
> > > This data is very important for me.
> >
> > Are you sure you are posting to the correct mailing list.
> > Ext3fs is basically a linux file system, while this is a FreeBSD list.
> >
> > Malcolm
>
> I do :)
> It's a FreeBSD problem.
> I've  installed 5.3 and had to get data from a linux box.
> This data must be returned from the FBSD box.

It really is not very clear what you are trying to do.
My impression is that you are trying to transfer a backup file from a
linux system to a FBSD system, but later want to return it to the linux
system.

But why do you wish to store it under an ext3fs on FBSD rather than a ufs
or ufs2 system?

Does your FBSD ext3fs partition have enough space?
Is it really possible to have a ext3fs mount under FBSD 5.3? I know you
can mount an ext2fs file system and an existing linux ext3fs will probably
mount successfully (without journaling) as an ext2fs; but is this what are
you trying to do?

How are you transfering the file from the linux box to the FBSD box?

You provide very little information on what you are really trying to do?

Malcolm