Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:58:01 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Athlon XP-M/PowerNow for desktop system?

Stefan Walter <sw@gegenunendlich.de> wrote:

> >      It may still be worthwhile, if you live in an area with expensive
> > electricity.  I've forgotten the exact numbers, but the XP-M CPUs tend
> > to use significantly less power than the regular desktop CPUs (something
> > like 30-40+W less).  A few months back, I built a 2200+ XP-M-based
> > system which only uses up around 80-90W, and this could have been even
> > lower, had I not also installed a power-hungry TV capture card
> > (Hauppauge PVR-250).
>
> Thanks for the info. I might give it a try, then.

     Note that the power usage I gave (80-90W) does not include the
power used by the monitor.  It only lists the power used by the base
system (CPU, motherboard, RAM, video card, TV capture card, hard disk,
power supply, keyboard, etc. -- NO monitor).  A monitor will increase
the power usage significantly (70-120W++ for a CRT monitor, or 40-80W+
for an LCD monitor).

[ Also, note that I'm not using a power-sucking 3D video graphics card
  (e.g., one that also needs one or more separate power connectors from
  the power supply), which can easily use up more power than the CPU.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com