Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:02:39 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 I/O Performance / Linux 2.6.10

--nextPart2373717.ivX4OMsFBH

Am Montag, 24. Januar 2005 06:17 schrieb Oliver Fuchs:

> > In addition, was on OS running a window manager and the other not? Was
> > one running ssh and the other not, was FBSD running Linux emu? ... Was
> > one running (insert program) and the other not...
>
> In addition to this:
> - how often did you run your test
> - what processes/daemons else where running
> - what is the contents of /etc/fstab
> - what is the contents of /etc/login.conf
> - what shell was used
> - what user was used
> - ... .

Well, these aren't of big interest atm. I posted a question in -current=20
regarding horrible ftp transfer rates (fwe and em transfer rates).
He was the only one answering and regrettably confirming my experience.
=46irst, tell me why a 866MHz PII machine is full loaded for transfering 22=
MB/s=20
(over em0 and ftp, disks can do more that 50MB/s, no switch, just direct=20
connect, no packet loss/mutilation.......)?

There is such a big performance hole that it's really uninteresting if one=
=20
runs syslogd on one machine and not on the other...

=2DMano