Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:36:38 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Yamamoto Shigeru <shigeru@iij.ad.jp>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update patch of security/wpa_supplicant, from 0.3.0 to 0.3.8

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:50:34PM +0900, Yamamoto Shigeru wrote:
>=20
> Brooks> Thanks for you submission.  I've committed these parts along with
> Brooks> some fixes.
>=20
> Thank you.
>=20
> >> - install start/stop script
> Brooks> I did not commit this because I believe this is the wrong way to
> Brooks> integrate wpa_supplication.  The integration needs to take place =
in
> Brooks> /etc/rc.d/netif so wpa supplicant is started on interfaces when t=
hey
> Brooks> arrive, not at boot since they may not exist until arbitrarily
> Brooks> later.
>=20
> I think it is better to separate wpa_supplicant start/stop script from ne=
tif
> script.
> Because, we sometimes need to restart wpa_supplicant when changing WEP ke=
y.
>=20
> In our company, in which we can't use WPA, WEP key is sometimes changed to
> be more secure.
> In this case, we need restarting wpa_supplicant to change WEP key.
>=20
> I think it is populer to change WEP key frequently in none-WPA/802.11i
> environment.
> So, it is useful to separate wpa_supplicant start/stop script from netif
> script.

OK that makes sense.  However, the script needs to be in /etc/rc.d
and run before dhclient to keep things happy at startup.  Want to give
this a shot, probably using a script similar to /etc/rc.d/dhclient?  The
ability to specify interfaces to take action on at the command line of
the script is very useful.  If you write one that allows the path to
wpa_supplicant and any config files (and I do believe we should support
one per interface) to be specified we can point the default to
/usr/local for now and then change them when we bring wpa_supplicant in
to the tree.  I'd be happy to get rc support in before wpa_supplicant so
we can do more testing before doing an import.

-- Brooks

--=20

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB--