Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:32:00 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        michaelmortensen@lite.dk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: masterpasswd file

--Signature=_Fri__18_Feb_2005_12_32_00_-0500_T_6FIITexhdO+S8_

michaelmortensen@lite.dk wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a question concerning a FreeBSD server. I'm currently studying to get a CCNA and CCSP.. On top of that, I'm training to become an ethical hacker.. But now I have a small problem..
>
> I'm currently working on a project to find a way to get the masterpasswd file from a FreeBSD server... I don't really have any experience with FreeBSD and therefore I'm asking you! The server is a training server set up for me, so don't worry.. I'm not doing anything illegal here..... See I could try to find out myself by installing FreeBSD and studying it.. And I really would to, if the case wasn't that I have a deadline in a week....
>
> If you want to verify my identity, I can send you another email when I'm at my own computer (this is my girlfriends moms), I have a digital signature... :P

Haha ... you're so honest.

If you want access to /etc/master.passwd, you'll have to be root.

If you're telling the truth, and you have legitimate reason to want this,
then you need to contact whoever has root access to that machine and get
their cooperation.

If you're trying to get master.passwd on a machine that you have no root
access on, they you'll have to break root on that machine, and this is
the wrong forum to ask questions about how to do that.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies