Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:30:02 +0100
From:      h p <regnans@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto monitor system security

[...]
> > FreeBSD security email is rather anoying, because it keeps sending
> > messages even if nothing has changed.  I need an email sent to me only
> > if there is something abnormal.
>
> What happens when someone breaks in and disables it from sending email?
>
> Think of it as a kind of heartbeat.

Well, different minds work differently, but for me it adds vastly to
the noise level.
If everything is normal, I get a mail. If there is something wrong, I
get a mail. A different one, for sure, but I have to actually read it
to know.
If I only get a mail in a special case, I am much more inclined to
read it than if I get a mail every day for 300 days and on the 301st
there is a mail with a warning. I've stopped paying attention long
before that.

Just my thoughts....

Helge