Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:21:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buggy ATA controller: I can install 4.11, but not 5.3 !?!

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Rob wrote:

> I found a webpage:
> http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=4&topic=acd
> which mentions a bit about syscontrols, that might
> be relevant to my problem.

This is a more recent version of that page:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=acd&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

> So I hope this can be solved with 5.3 by setting the
> proper hints/syscontrols as loader settings before
> the kernel is loaded. But I'm don't know whether
> the 5.3 install process allows me doing this.
>
> How can I modify the install process and which
> hints/controls should I modify? I hope someone
> here on the list has some good ideas :).

You can set hints from the loader prompt with the "set" command.

If you can set up a serial console, can you capture the output of a
verbose boot?

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org