Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe <protoplasm72@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't compile jdk on machine with limited ram

I didn't think of ulimit but this is what everything is set at:

cpu time               (seconds, -t)  unlimited
file size           (512-blocks, -f)  unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d)  524288
stack size              (kbytes, -s)  65536
core file size      (512-blocks, -c)  unlimited
max memory size         (kbytes, -m)  unlimited
locked memory           (kbytes, -l)  unlimited
max user processes              (-u)  478
open files                      (-n)  957
virtual mem size        (kbytes, -v)  unlimited
sbsize                   (bytes, -b)  unlimited

The data seg size seems low but I can't increase it.  Everything else
should be fine.

--
Joe

--- Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:48:13PM -0700, Joe wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile the sun jdk14 port but I'm getting out of
> memory
> > errors.  This is an old machine with only 64mb of ram but I have a
> > whole 10gb drive as my swap space.  When I get this error, the
> process
> > size in memory is only around 100mb (it goes up to 120mb at other
> times
> > and is fine).  I've tried killing every process that is not
> essential
> > to free up mem but it still dies.  So my question is, has anyone
> > compiled the jdk on a machine with 64mb or less? and are there
> options
> > I can set to reduce the memory needed while compiling?  If it is
> > important, I'm using FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE. Thanks.
> >

> > This is the error message:
> >
> > Compiling
> > /usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/hotspot/src/share/vm/opto/graphKit.cpp
> > virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory
>
> You can control the memory usage with Java, but the problem occurs
> while
> compiling a C++ file, i.e. this error is coming from gcc.  I've no
> idea
> what it thinks its running into, but you may want to look at any
> limits
> your account has in terms of memory usage and the like (see ulimit).
>
> --
> Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
> Eyes Beyond                         Web     :
> http://www.eyesbeyond.com
> Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org

Yahoo! Messenger