Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:49:45 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, ptitoliv <ptitoliv@frenchsuballiance.cjb.net>
Subject:   Re: Resizing /var

On Saturday 11 June 2005 16:37,  the author Jerry McAllister contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: Resizing /var:

>> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>> > None that I know of.  Your best bet is, I guess, to find somewhere
>> > enough space for a backup, repartition & restore session.
>>
>> Doesn't it make sense to simply move selectetd directories to a
>> partition with free space and create symlinks?  I would think moving
>> /var/db and /var/log would suffice for most situations.
>
>That makes a lot of sense.   In fact it is probably the best way to go.
>
>There are numerous posts (some by me) in the archive that tell how
>to do it step by step.

Be careful though because some applications get thrown by symlinks - Orbit is
very touchy with symlinks as I found out to my cost. Before doing anything I
recomend to do a tar cvf of /var so you can fully restore it.

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.