Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:18:11 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
To:        russo@bogodyn.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Contradicting the answer to Re: Answering my own question Re: Iomega REV drive, FreeBSD 4.11

On 8/17/05, Tom Russo <russo@bogodyn.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 10:21:55AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <russo@bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> > I'm answering my own question on the mailing list, just to get what I
> found
> > into the archives in case anyone else has this question.
> >=20
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:33:47PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <russo@bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> > > I'm running FreeBSD 4.11.  I last updated from STABLE in January:
> > >=20
> > > FreeBSD bogodyn.org 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Sat Jan 22
> 13:10:32 MST 2005     russo@bogodyn.org:/users2/obj/usr/src/sys/BOGODYN=
=20
> i386
> > >=20
> > > I just purchased an external SCSI Iomga REV 35MB removable medium dri=
ve.
> =20
> > >=20
> > [...]
> > > When I attach the device and camcontrol rescan all, I get this in the=
=20
> > > /var/log/messages:
> > >=20
> > > Jul 21 19:22:52 bogodyn /kernel: cd1: <Iomega RRD 84.B> Removable CD-=
ROM
> SCSI-4=20
> > > device=20
> > [...]
> > > That is, the drive is detected, but as a removable CDROM,=20
> >=20
> > This is not peculiar to BSD.  Low-level SCSI utilities in the SCSI
> controller
> > at boot time also fail to recognize this thing as a disk drive, and eve=
n=20
> > on Windows it shows up as a CD-ROM.  The only way to write data to it i=
> > use a windows-only driver.  And since it doesn't use an ISO-9660 file
> system,
> > the only way to read data off of it is with a windows-only driver, too.=
=20
> So
[...]
> Which leads to a final question:  Is there any work being done on
> read/write
> support for UDF filesystems?  Might 6.0 get this capability?
>=20

Someone referred to UDF in 6.0 as if it were read/write, but I don't
see any evidence of that in the man page (it doesn't say it isn't
read/write, either).  If I have time this evening I will try to
investigate that.

ports/sysutils/udfclient might support that drive in write mode.  If
so, it will give you some ability to do useful things with it,
although it doesn't appear that it will make it look like a mountable
filesystem.

- Bob