Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:14:21 +0000
From:      Brad Schonhorst <bschonhorst@vcsnyc.org>
To:        "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kismet adn atheros

Michael W. Oliver wrote:

>On 2005-08-27T21:09:28+0000, Brad Schonhorst wrote:
>

>>#ps -aux | egrep kismet
>>root    663  0.0  0.2  2860  2108  p1  S     8:39PM   0:01.41
>>/usr/local/bin/kismet_server --silent
>>
>>Kismet_server hung on for some reason, lets kill it off
>>#kill -9 663
>>

>Others and I have reported this too.  Annoying but I will live...
>

>>Lets see if that did the trick
>>#ifconfig
>>ath0:flags=28943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,PPROMISC>
>>mtu 1500
>>      inet6 fe80::211:f5ff:fe60:1764%ath0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>>      ether 00:11:f5:60:17:64
>>      media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <monitor>
>>      status: associated
>>      ssid "" channel 11
>>      authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 52 protmode CTS bintval 100
>>
>>Not really, so lets try one of the suggested commands to pull out of
>>promisc and monitor modes
>>#ifconfig ath0 -promisc mediaopt -monitor
>>ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (media): Device not configured
>>
>>Hmm, may not have need the mediaopt flag
>>#ifconfig ath0 -promisc -monitor
>>

>I think you want...
>
>ifconfig ath0 -promisc -mediaopt monitor
>
>(note that you must kill off kismet_server or the above command will
>have no effect (at least on my system)).

That seemed to do the trick.  Thanks for the tip, still learning all
these ifconfig commands.  I gotta say the scan option in ifconfig rocks!

>I wish someone knew why kismet won't channel hop...

Well, kismet does channel hop for me.  Funny, if I try to use dstumbler
it won't channel hop though.

Some entries in my kismet.conf file:
# Version of Kismet config
version=2005.06.R1

#I'm only scanning the 'b' channels although scanning all the 'a' channels
#was working fine, just took to long.  Most people in my neighborhood were
#using 802.11b
source=radiotap_bsd_b,ath0,Atheros

# Do we channelhop?
channelhop=true

# How many channels per second do we hop?  (1-10)
channelvelocity=5