Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:11:16 -0800
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'Its Azfar'" <azfarhusain@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Few questions.

Its Azfar <azfarhusain@yahoo.com> wrote:
>=20
> I want to move my servers on freebsd from linux and I
> need few information regarding freebsd
> compatibilities.
>=20
> 1. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
> with Java.

Multiple versions of Sun's JDK is available in the java/ directory of =
the
Ports Collection.  The FreeBSD Java Project, which is responsible for
porting Java to FreeBSD can be found at http://www.freebsd.org/java/.

> 2. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
> with MySQL.

MySQL runs very well on FreeBSD.  Multiple MySQL server and client =
versions
are available in databases/ directory of the Ports Collection.  There is =
no
authoritative site for MySQL on FreeBSD to my knowledge, but =
installation is
very straight forward.

> 3. What is the current status of freebsd compatibility
> with SMP and Threading.

SMP with FreeBSD is extremely stable with both 5.x and 6.x.  Both =
schedulers
are good choices in the latest 5.x and 6.x, but I would recommend using =
the
4BSD scheduler over the ULE scheduler in a production environment.

There is an implementation of LinuxThreads available for FreeBSD.  You =
can
get it by installing the devel/linuxthreads port.  The MySQL ports have
options to let you build them with linuxthreads support.