Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:12:07 -0900
From:      Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flash plugin in 6.0

--nextPart1471797.MSVyzjihiI

On Monday 19 December 2005 07:41 am, dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On 18 Dec Beecher Rintoul wrote:

> > > The only thing it doesnt do is create symbolic links which does not
> > > mark a port as BROKEN for one, secondly why would you remove your
> > > browser_plugins dir?
> >
> > That was a typo, read the followup I sent immediately following the
> > first message. Secondly putting plugins in browser_linux_plugins does
> > break firefox and mozilla. I would call that broken where I come from.
> > Users should not have to move things that were installed in the wrong
> > place. That's the job of the port.
>
> You were very quick with your correction of the typo. Faster than some
> of us read their mails ;-)
> Secondly, I totally agree to the statement that the port is "broken"
> You have too much to manually correct.
> At the time I was not aware of the facts and lost quite some time
> finding out. If you know, it's not that kind of a deal.

Even though I'm not a programmer, I'm looking into fixing that port. I've=20
tried contacting the maintainer and didn't get any response. If I manage to=
=20
get it working I'll file a PR. The linuxpluginwrapper has been broken since=
=20
the last upgrade, acroread way before that and it took me many hours to fin=
d=20
all the fixes necessary (thank you everyone who helped me with that issue).=
=20
If nothing else, I'll write all those changes into a script which will do i=
t=20
automatically. I would think this would be a priority if FreeBSD is going t=
o=20
be a viable desktop alternative. It's exactly this kind of situation that=20
causes new users to give up and go with the penguin, or worse go back to=20
micro$oft. I can't even tell someone to read the documentation, because the=
re=20
isn't any. These fixes were scattered throughout many email threads that sp=
an=20
many months.

If anyone needs a copy of my work-around it can be found at:

http://akparadise.byethost33.com/freebsd/linuxpluginwrapper_how_to.txt

Just my .02

Beech

=2D-=20

Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://akparadise.byethost33.com