Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:52:49 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SPP server

Dima,

> Does there exist an SPP server program?

not yet.

> rfcomm_sppd can act as a client, but it doesn't look like it can act
> as a server.

that is correct. rfcomm_sppd(1) can only act in client mode

> The documentation doesn't say what it connects to, but I presume it's
> some embedded device that would normally have a serial port.

rfcomm_sppd(1) can be used with any bluetooth device that implements
serial port (sp) profile. the scenario covered by sp profile deals with
legacy applications using bluetooth as a cable replacement, through a
virtual serial port abstraction.

> I'm interested in using Bluetooth as a terminal connector. Instead of
> running serial cables to all servers in a cluster, we can connect to
> them over Bluetooth. It can't be used as a real console, but it can
> probably be brought up early enough in the boot sequence to be usable
> as a rescue mechanism. Is this already possible? If not, is there any
> reason it can't work? Unless I'm missing some conceptual problem, it
> doesn't seem like it would be very hard to write an rfcomm terminal
> server using the SPP.

it should be trivial to extend rfcomm_sppd(1) to do what you want. right
now rfcomm_sppd(1) uses pty(4) as virtual serial port abstraction. it is
assumed that another application will be using /dev/ttypX (slave pty) as
serial port. in theory, you could teach rfcomm_sppd(1) to run login(1)
or something like that.

thanks,
max