Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2006 03:03:28 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: f2c problems with the new malloc (Fwd: [ports-amd64@pointyhat.freebsd.org: arpack-96 failed on amd64 7])

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 05:26:23PM -0700, Mike Brown wrote:
> pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi;
> >=20
> > f2c, which arpack uses to generate headers, is having problems with the=
 new
> > malloc on amd64 (messages follow). If the problem is difficult to find =
perhaps
> > we should stop generating those headers: I think no port uses them.
>=20
> I maintain a port that uses Python C extensions (it builds the extensions,
> then makes use of them later in the build), and it is having similar
> "(malloc) Corrupted redzone" problems on fbsd 7/amd64 according to the la=
test
> unbuildable-ports reports.
>=20
> Specifically, it's
> python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 1 byte after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0x=
0)
> python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 2 bytes after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0=
x0)
> python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 3 bytes after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0=
x0)
> python: (malloc) Corrupted redzone 4 bytes after 0x8062d9340 (size 68) (0=
x0)
>=20
> I've never seen this error before and have no way of debugging it.
>=20
> I'm hesitant to mark the port as broken if this is a temporary problem wi=
th
> just this one unstable platform. Any info/guidance appreciated...

It's here to stay, and it's an application bug in your port or some
other part of python (specifically: writing past the end of the
malloc()ed space, probably because it didn't allocate as much as it
needed), which has always been there but was not usually fatal with
the old malloc.

Kris

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--