Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:30:45 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: md access permissions during early boot

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:56:28PM +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:
> I am working on an rc.d/ script that creates a memory file-backed
> memory disk via mdconfig (the file exists already and contains a
> valid ffs). After md creation, the device is checked with fsck_ffs -p.
> However, fsck fails with the error NO WRITE ACCESS. The file
> permissions of the md device under /dev/ are 640, which should not
> prevent access. The same is true for the file itself, and the path
> to it.
>
> I tried passing the -o noreadonly option to mdconfig, but that didn't
> result in any different behaviour.
>
> My script is running right after the fsck script itself. When I
> run it from the command line after successful boot and login,
> fsck does not fail, so somewhere between the early beginning of
> the rc.d/ sequence (right after fsck is run) and login, something
> changes which results in root having access to my md.

A thing to check is whether the filesystem the file is on is mounted
read-write by the time your script is invoked.  If your script runs
right after fsck, there should be only the root fs mounted, read-only.

> Any ideas what that could be? Another hint is that some time
> around 5.3, this was not the default behaviour, fsck was possible
> back then. I am using 6.0 stable now.

The ordering of your script relative to other rc.d scripts could
have changed.  Your script should specify rcorder(8) keywords to
start at the right moment.

--
Yar