Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:56:02 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        David MAREC <david.marec@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: print/cups-base 1.2.0_2 and locally connected printer

--------------enigA8D44D884C9C248C14746DBD

If memory serves me right, David MAREC wrote:
> Le lundi 26 juin 2006 04:18, Rick Voland a =E9crit :
>=20
>> It seems to be a permissions thing.
>=20
> I have the same problem running FreeBSD 6.1.
> A few weeks ago, =ABcups=BB stopped printing through local ports while =
 =ABlpd=BB=20
> d=E6mon was still working.
> ( maybe, as soon as i removed cups-lpr from the system )
>=20
>> Now, I can print to the parallel port.  I didn't have to do this with
>> print/cups-base 1.1.23.0_9.
>=20
> Setting =ABrw=BB permissions to group and others to that device allows =
=ABcupsd =BB=20
> to work through local ports.
> Setting =ABrw=BB permissions to group only, does'nt.
>=20
> Is there new device policies defined by cups ?
>=20

I noticed that the cups port now installs a cups user and group.  I
infer from that change that some portion of cups now runs as a
non-privileged user, and that if you're driving a parallel port, it
needs to writable (readable too?) by the new cups user.

(I encountered this problem on my RELENG_6/i386 print server machine,
made /dev/lpt0 owned by cups:cups, and it worked.  Edit /etc/devfs.conf
to set this ownership on the next reboot.)

Bruce.