Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:35:25 -0400
From:      Scott Sipe <cscotts@mindspring.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSDstats v3.0 - The Security Rewrite

On Aug 14, 2006, at 4:28 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, John Nielsen wrote:
>
>> This is great!
>>
>> Is the 15-minute first-time waiting period enforced on the server
>> side?
>> Obviously there's nothing to stop an administrator from editing
>> the script
>> locally..
>
> It is enforced on the server side ... in fact, one person just
> reported to me that they killed the script and re-ran it, and the
> stats went through ... they didn't, the server side will reject the
> submission until the first minute time has elapsed ... I've got
> some ideas on how to better clean that up on the client side ...

This just happened to me as well--I installed the port, added lines
to periodic.conf and manually ran:

/usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly/300.statistics

output as follows:

# /usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly/300.statistics
chown: /var/db/bsdstats: No such file or directory
To protect against abuse, the initial challenge/response phase
contains a 15 minute pause.  Please be patient while this time
limit elapses
^C
# /usr/local/etc/periodic/monthly/300.statistics
Posting monthly OS statistics to bsdstats.org
Posting monthly device statistics to bsdstats.org
Posting monthly CPU statistics to bsdstats.org

I cancelled it to see why it showed the chown error.

Scott