Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:41:15 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 installl dependencies not complete, doesn't result in running X11

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 02:35:32AM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 08:28:27AM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:

Hi Kris,

how r u ? Hope all fine. Sorry to jump into this so "rapidly".

I know all what you say ... Its only that I have a certain
feeling that this could perhaps be done "better" or "more consistent"
to the rest of the ports, where nearly everything is handled in
an "automagically" way.

Sure its tricky to satisfy all peoples wishes/needs.

But just as you tell this brilliant statement .. concerning
local or remote server ...

> In principle you don't need a local server to run a window manager,
> you can use the standard X forwarding to run it on a remote server.
> Similarly, you don't need a full set of fonts to run a viable server.

... I get an idea whats perhaps needed ...

What do you think of a global option for X11 based stuff
that asks exactly what you say,
- if people have a local Graphic Card installed and
  so want to run a local X server or
- instead of this a remote X11 Server.

This could be stored under /var/db/ports/x11/xorg

Maybe we also need additionally a special directory for global knobs
for a certain category of ports like for X11 based ones.

Finally for packages its only a question if default to x11 runtime
dependencies for machines with local or remote x11 server.

What do you think of that ?

This concept of global variables also reminds me of one installation
experience with GenToo Linux, where the whole system is treated like
our ports and where it is possible to set global knobs so that
certain functionalities are compiled in and others will be avoided.

We also know global variables, but in this X11 case we have nothing
to control the run dependencies, if x11 stuff for a local or remote
X11 server should be installed.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 6