Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:06:13 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to boot FBSD on g3 B&W

Hi Soeren,

> I have put up the dmesg from my boot attemp:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~xride/dmesg.g3bnw-20061025.txt
> But i can't install sysinstall doesn't see ad0.

  The CMD 646U2 is a notoriously bad ATA controller :)

  I think if you break into the loader and disable ATA DMA:

  set hw.ata.ata_dma=0

  And probably disable it for atapi as well:

  set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

> All the onboard nic is not found.

  Yep, it's not supported. I used an Intel fxp in one of the PCI slots:
works fine.

  The on-board NIC is a non-PCI Apple custom: the BMAC chip, which uses
the DMA controller in the macio chip.

> Where can i still digging in the src tree? i'm trying to learn more.

  The mac stuff is in the sys/powerpc/powermac directory. The files that
apply to the B&W are grackle* and hrowpic*

later,

Peter.