Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:19:58 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.x from i386 to amd64

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr

On Tue, 2006-Oct-31 14:44:46 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> - certain ports have i386 binaries (can't be fixed)
> - certain ports have i386 asm code (can be fixed if there is fallback
>   C code)

A partial solution to this is to get the i386 emulation and cross-
building into better shape.  If I really need a binary-only port
then I can build/run it in emulation mode.  This has bee discussed
previously.

IMHO, the FreeBSD/amd64 naming conventions make it much cleaner than
(eg) Solaris and Linux as long as you only want native-mode apps.
Unfortunately, it makes supporting i386 applications much harder
(bacause they need to understand they need to look in .../lib32
ISO .../lib).

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--IMjqdzrDRly81ofr