Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:29:11 +0100
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a question regarding <sys/shm.h>

Peter Jeremy wrote:
> Whilst I agree that the Linux defn is the more sensible one, System V
> IPC and common sense are not commonly found together.  Tradionally the
> definition was "int".  It appears that the definition changed from
> "int" to "size_t" in issue 5 of the Open Group base definition but
> FreeBSD has not caught up with this.
>
> I'm not sure what plans there are to change this.  You could try
> putting together a patch to address this and submitting it as a PR
> (this means addressing all references to shm_segsz in the base
> system, not just <sys/shm.h>).

First of all, thanks for the quick response. At the very least this
sheds some light onto the history and how this situation likely came to
pass. I'll see if i can put together a patch during the next week or so
that would bring our definitions regarding System V IPC in synch, i'll
also try to see if i can find additional occurances of similar
discrepancies so these could be fixed in a single run.

Any additional sugestions/objections are always greatly appreciated.

--
   Pascal Hofstee