Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:57:17 +0100
From:      Gerhard Schmidt <estartu@augusta.de>
To:        Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/93083: [firewire] Detach of Firewire Harddisk not recognied properly

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 02:48:27AM +0000, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:
> Synopsis: [firewire] Detach of Firewire Harddisk not recognied properly
>=20
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: simokawa
> State-Changed-When: Thu Mar 22 02:47:51 UTC 2007
> State-Changed-Why:=20
> USB has always tree structures and any devices except hubs
> are leaves of the tree. This means that you can remove any device without
> disconnecting any other devices.
> On the other hand, ieee1394 allows daisy chains and you may sometimes
> want to remove a device between the host and a leaf device which is
> mounted on the host. The current default setting allow to remove physical=
ly
> such intermediate nodes without unmounting filesystems.

=46rom my personal expirience that doesn't work. I had 3 external harddrive=
s=20
connected via FW.=20

drive1 <-> host <-> drive2 <-> drive3=20

Disconnecting drive1 and drive3 while drive2 is mounted worked sometimes=20
(couldn't figure out what makes it fail)=20

umounting and powering down drive2 (without physicaly disconnecting) causes
a panik when drive3 is mounted.=20

The only secure way to disconnect any drive at the moment is to unmount=20
any fw disk, disconnect the drive and remount the others. Everything=20
else worked sometimes but most time the system crashed.=20

As it seams to me that a busreset is triggerd by any disconnect or
powerchange and this causes a renumbering of the devices and leads=20
to the crash.=20

At the moment i have ext Harddisk and a DVD-Writer with firewire and a=20
notebook with FreeBSD 6.2 and firewire. I can help you with testing.=20

Greeting=20
	Estartu

--=20
Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | EMail: estartu@augusta.de          |  on request=20
Germany            | 					| =20

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz--