Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:16:20 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Craig Russell <crussell_1969@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cant boot fresh install of freebsd 6.2 or dell poweredge 6650

At 09:21 AM 4/12/2007, Craig Russell wrote:
>I am a newbie using freebsd and have run into a
>problem on a new install on a dell poweredge 6650.  I
>am installing to a hardeware raid 1 on an LSI Logic
>raid controller.  The installation appears to go well
>but after a reboot the freebsd boot manager comes up
>with F1 to boot Freebsd (or default) and then it
>complains of no boot loader followed by a "no
>/boot/kernel/kernel" error.
>
>The default boot parameter is
>0:ad(0,d)/boot/kernel/kernel
>
>I've tried different slices with the same results.  I
>have tried using the MBR instead of the freebsd boot
>manager.  I have tried different bios settings on the
>raid card (LSI logic in the poweredge 6650).  I'm not
>really sure what to try next.  I've even tried to
>install it on a different machine on a single sata
>drive with the same result.  I am obviously doing
>something wrong but I can't for the life of me figure
>out what it is.
>
>Thank you for any help or direction you can provide.

If you have tried on two systems, one with a standard IDE/SATA drive and
that failed to boot as well, I would suspect the install media is bad.  I
would download a new ISO and burn a new cd.  You might try an ISO from a
different mirror.  It is possible your CD is foobar.  Be sure you get the
correct disk 1 ISO from whatever mirror you use.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.