Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:37:52 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Philipp Wuensche <cryx-freebsd@h3q.com>, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: Virally licensed code in FreeBSD kernel

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 10:47:09AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 10:12 AM 4/14/2007, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> >How is this any worse than the GPLed stuff in /usr/src/contrib?
>
> It's in the kernel. And the announcement went as far as to say that
> it is "part of FreeBSD."

>From what I've seen thus far, it seems that it's not part of the
standard kernel.  It's just something that *can be* part of the kernel.

If you don't want to use it, don't.  I don't have a problem with it
being offered in the ports tree, as long as it's not part of the default
install.

I do share your wariness of licenses like the CDDL.  One of the reasons
I looked into FreeBSD in the first place was a decision to look for ways
to escape the GPL's ubiquity in Linux-land.  I just don't think it's
being included with FreeBSD in an inappropriate manner.  I'd like to
know about it if you have some evidence to the contrary.

"A script is what you give the actors.  A program
is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall