Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:05:27 +1000
From:      Alan Garfield <alan@fromorbit.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fake MAC addresses and ARP

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 22:00 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-Apr-17 13:36:43 +1000, Alan Garfield <alan@fromorbit.com> wrote:
> >I've got a little driver that communicates via a small buffer on the
> >motherboard of a Sun Fire V20z to a built-in "service processor" which
> >is running Linux. The driver on both sides makes the buffer look like a
> >Ethernet interface.
>
> I'd be interested in using this.

Yeah it's going to be pretty handy. I'm also going to port the Poci
control daemon too, which should allow FreeBSD to be controlled via the
SP. If you'd like to look/test the code just pop me an email.

Once I figure out the license requirements I'm hoping to have it added
to FreeBSD HEAD.

> >The Linux driver I'm porting simply grabbed any outgoing arp requests,
> >made up an appropriate response with the pre-defined fake MAC's, put it
> >into the input queue and ate the request packet.
>
> A quick-and-dirty work-around would seem to be
>   arp -s 169.254.101.2 Fa:ke:ma:cA:dd:re:ss

Tried that, I get :-

set: can only proxy for 169.254.101.2

.... and it still doesn't work! :)

> Otherwise, I think you would need to fiddle with the transmit packet
> code in your driver.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this will be the case and that I'm starting
to hate ARP and the lack of kernel docs on the subject.

Thanks,
Alan.