Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:54:36 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [SOLVED, sort of] Re: svn+ssh over nonstandard port fails to connect

--=-SPFUmk2V0OBiEVN1X9IN

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 04:23 -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> For a moment, I thought this wasn't going to work, because nothing like
> that syntax seems to work in tcsh -- but then I remembered that, in this
> case, the only reason I was even doing this was to test whether someone
> else would be able to access the contents of the repository from
> off-site, and that person is using bash.  As such, I tried a pretty much
> verbatim copy of what you suggested from a bash prompt, and it worked, so
> it should work for him.
>=20
> In other words, my immediate problem is solved.  Thank you.
>=20
> It seems odd that I cannot find an easier way around this with tcsh than
> setting an environment variable, running the svn command I need, then
> unsetting the environment variable, every time.  Coupled with the strange
> argument quoting requirements of tcsh and the fact that it's easier to
> get into trouble with weird filenames than in other shells I've used, I'm
> tempted to go back to bash.
>=20

Did you miss Albert Shih's reply (slightly modified)?

> Put something like
>	[tunnels]
>         myssh=3D/usr/bin/ssh -p 1234 123.45.678.90
> in=20
>         ~/.subversion/config
> and use
>         svn co svn+myssh://usr/home/svn-repos/project

You can then clearly define as many transports as you like, which
requires no setting of environment variables and is shell-agnostic.

Full details are described in the redbook:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html#svn.s=
erverconfig.svnserve.sshauth

In fact, if you had read the svn+ssh portion of the redbook, you would
have come across this sentence:

"This example demonstrates a couple of things. First, it shows how to
make the Subversion client launch a very specific tunneling binary (the
one located at /opt/alternate/ssh) with specific options. In this case,
accessing a svn+joessh:// URL would invoke the particular SSH binary
with -p 29934 as arguments =E2=80=94 useful if you want the tunnel program =
connect to a non-standard port."

Reading the manual is good.

--=-SPFUmk2V0OBiEVN1X9IN

--=-SPFUmk2V0OBiEVN1X9IN--