Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:23:15 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: emacs-22.0.99_1

On Aug 21, 2007, at 2:21 AM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> Anyway, did you have a specific concern about GPLv3?
>
> I was mostly concerned about local patches which we have 'backported'
> from CVS trunk of GNU Emacs to the editors/emacs port, to unbreak GTK+
> builds.
>
> Should we sign papers with the FSF to 'distribute' builds of this
> port?
> Do we need to change anything from the way we handled GPLv2
> versions of
> GNU Emacs in the Ports tree? .. and so on.

The FSF probably would like people who *submit* substantial patches
to GNU projects to sign a contributor agreement, but of course one
doesn't have to do so in order to use, modify, or even redistribute
GPLv{2,3}'ed code.

It might be the case that pinging <licensing@fsf.org> would provide
you authoritative feedback from them rather than just my random
opinion....  :-)

--
-Chuck