Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:38:49 -0500
From:      Art Mason <amason@rackspace.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DDoS attacks ... identifying destination ...

On Thursday 06 September 2007 14:59:36 Olivier Brisson wrote:
> * Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@freebsd.org> [070906 21:28]:
> > Is there either a command line command, or ports tool, that I can use
> > similar to top, or systat -iostat, that will help identify the IP that is
> > being attacked?
>
> In some way, you could also use wireshark:
> http://www.wireshark.org/
>
> Olivier

In the past, I've used DoSDetector to some success:

/usr/ports/net/dosdetector

"DoSDetector analyzes and detects suspicious IP traffic and alerts about it.
It can detect worm traffic, SYN flood, icmp flood, udp flood attacks and more.

It's configurable via a rule set; when an IP exceeds the score limit,
DoSDetector prints a warning.

WWW: http://dark-zone.eu/resources/unix/dosdetector/"

Combined w/ NetFlow exports on your edge routers provides even more accuracy
in at least identifying the router and interface the traffic is coming in
from and then acting accordingly to mitigate its effects.

Many of the CAIDA tools (http://www.caida.org/tools/) can also help with
identifying the source and destination of the anoomalous traffic.

Hope this information proves to be of some value.

Cheers,
--
Art Mason
amason@rackspace.com

expressly indicated, is confidential and privileged information of Rackspace
Managed Hosting. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed
material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse@rackspace.com, and delete the
original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.