Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d cleanup patch redux

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Mike Makonnen wrote:

> It's just that this little chage adds a little extra processig time here,
> that change adds just a little extra there, etc... and before you know it
> they all add up to a big difference (especially if we don't use faststop
> like des suggested).

I feel the same way, and I am resistant to ideas that add "just a little
bit" of time for the same reason, especially for boot stuff. However with
this change I literally could not measure any difference. The shutdown
time for my system ranged from about 4 seconds to about 8 seconds, whether
the patch was applied or not. Most of the time attributed to shutting down
daemons actually comes from the ports I have installed.

If someone had a very large number of services from the base running this
change may introduce a measurable change in shutdown time, but I really
doubt it.

> I'm not really against this change, I just wanted to voice my reservations.
> In fact, I would be more comfortable with leaving this last part of
> the change until after the code-freeze since it's also likely to
> introduce more "foo is not running?" console spammage.

Yeah, my original patch did not include the shutdown stuff, I added it in
response to a thread elsewhere that basically amounted to "lots of other
rc.d scripts don't have it, so I shouldn't have to add it either." I'll
split the patch into "functional" and "non-functional" halves, ask for re@
approval for the latter, and post the former to -current to ask for more
testers.

Thanks,

Doug