Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:02:51 -0800
From:      "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
To:        "Jonathan Horne" <freebsd@dfwlp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cups builds on one, but rejected by another?

On 11/14/07, Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 04:32:12 pm Kurt Buff wrote:

> > > what is the method for updating the portaudit database?  both have had
> > > their ports trees updated today, the 7.0 box multiple times.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > --
> > > Jonathan Horne
> > > http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
> > > freebsd@dfwlp.com
> >
> > I ran into a similar issue with cups - what does 'portaudit -aF' give
> > on each machine?
>
> interesting, portaudit seems to be part of the 7.0 base system now.  on my
> BETA2 box:
>
> [root@athena /usr/ports]# portaudit -aF
> auditfile.tbz                                 100% of   45 kB  100 kBps
> New database installed.
> Affected package: cups-base-1.3.3
> Type of problem: xpdf -- multiple remote Stream.CC vulnerabilities.
> Reference:
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/2747fc39-915b-11dc-9239-001c2514716c.html>;
>
> Affected package: cups-base-1.3.3
> Type of problem: cups -- off-by-one buffer overflow.
> Reference:
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/8dd9722c-8e97-11dc-b8f6-001c2514716c.html>;
>
> 2 problem(s) in your installed packages found.
>
> You are advised to update or deinstall the affected package(s) immediately.
>
> portaudit is not installed on my 6.2 server, so i have no data to print for
> that one.
>
> thanks,
> --
> Jonathan Horne
> http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org
> freebsd@dfwlp.com

That lack of portaudit on your 6.2 system is probably why it doesn't
care. I'll bet that if you had installed portaudit on your 6.2 system
before trying to update, it wouldn't build either, until the port was
updated, which happened a day or so ago. Further, I'll guess that the
ports tree on your 7.0 system doesn't contain the updated port for
cups - I don't have a 7.0 system on which to test, and don't have a
sophisticated understanding of how all that works, but it's possible
that the ports tree for 7.0 doesn't have the updates.

Kurt