Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2008 10:16:52 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, Milan Obuch <freebsd-current@dino.sk>, Marko Zec <zec@freebsd.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   public p4 mirror (was: Re: warning of pending commit attempt.)

--nextPart52380349.RMokNK4WXU

> > Some time ago there was cvsup-/csup-accessible 'clone' of p4 vimage
> > branch. It stopped working at some stage and now I have no idea on its
> > state. If it could be put into working state again, testing would be
> > much easier than today,at least for me :)
>
> devel/git has a git-p4 command for interfacing with perforce; anyone
> with p4 access could clone the repository and make it available with
> just a webserver.  Maybe easier to do than sorting out a functioning
> bridge with cvsup again.

is git-p4 mirroring stable and scalable such that it can be reasonable used=
 on=20
the FreeBSD repositories? I have had bad luck in the past trying to maintai=
n=20
monotone/darcs/mercurial mirrors. I can't easily test git-p4 since I don't=
=20
have p4 access (to FreeBSD nor any other large project).

In any case: If there is a usable method of keeping a distributed SCM=20
up-to-date with what's in p4, then I would like to donate some=20
bandwidth/resources needed to run it (if that is the problem). If git-p4=20
works well and there is any possibility of getting a read-only p4 account,=
=20
I'll set up a git mirror, if that helps.

I am of the opinion that the availability of development features in some k=
ind=20
of scm that is publicly available makes it a lot easier to test things in=20
response to general requests made on -current.

In addition, having that publicly available scm be distributed means that i=
t=20
becomes significantly easier for people to experiment with making their own=
=20
changes to the code base, which can only be good.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org