Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:31:15 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: INET6 -- and why I don't use it

On Sunday 09 March 2008 20:41:51 Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
> > Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:19:33 -0300
> >
> > your computer will or better CAN use ipv6 when it is on a ipv6 network
> > and nothing else, ipv6 WILL NOT come eventually available on your ipv4
> > network (unless it's address space change ...)
>
> I'm unclear on the last sentence. I can assure you that IPv6 WILL come
> to your IPv4 network. It's not 'if' but 'when'. I am regularly amazed to
> see the number of people who bury their heads in the sand and claim it
> won't.

Hi
I am not saying that ipv6 is not coming but I am saying that as long as you=
r=20
network is ipv4 you do not need to care

> > this has nothing to do with vista or dawn, this is a routing issue and
> > as long as you are NOT on a ipv6 network you do NOT need ipv6 on our
> > machine, still beeing able to access ipv6 networks ... as weel as ipv6
> > networls can access ipv4 networlks guys, if not so all this ipv[4|6]
> > stuff wouldn't make any sense ...
>
> Whether you need to or not, you WILL have it if you run Vista. Read up
> on Teredo tunnels. You can turn this off on Vista, but it is on by
> default and every Vista system not configured to turn it off WILL run
> IPv6 regardless of what network it is connected to.

well, fedora and FreeBSD also but you do not need it, windows does install=
=20
netbeui netbios and simlare things by default which you do not neeed either=
=20
on the internet and probably will disable or uninstall them

> Whether you need IPv6 is debatable. If you want to see the Kame dancing
> turtle, you will need IPv6. There are a very few specialized locations
> that are IPv6-only, but they are of little or no general interest. None
> the less, if you have Vista up and running or FreeBSD with the
> appropriate setup (6to4), your can reach them even if your network
> connection is IPv4 only.

I am not sure if this correct, ipv4 to ipv6 and viceversa is be done by TRT=
=20
(RFC3142) routers which are supposed to run on the border of such networks =
or=20
by whom provides both protocols, as enduser you do not need to care about=20
connectivity to each protocol=20

> I'm afraid I couldn't parse the latter part of this paragraph. (Still,
> your English is far better than my Portuguese.)

:) then let's stay with it=20

I think it is very easy, you need ipv6 when you are on or connected to an i=
pv6=20
network, otherwise not

> FWIW, I run a full production IPv6 network and have been working with
> IPv6 since it was still being developed by the IETF.  It's far from
> perfect and, in fact, I am quite disappointed on how it came out, but it
> is what it is and, as of today, it is the only game in town that can
> move us to beyond the end of IPv4 address space availability. Live with
> it or live in the expensive past. (IPv4 addresses will soon get
> very expensive as the supply runs out.)

well, I guess the question is not if it works or not but when and where you=
=20
need it

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o