Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:15:14 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Mel <fbsd.hackers@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel API docs ('make doxygen')

Quoting Mel <fbsd.hackers@rachie.is-a-geek.net> (from Fri, 11 Jul 2008 =20
15:17:54 +0200):

> I was wondering if this project is considered obsolete, finished or work i=
> progress.

I would say it's in the "it has to prove it's usefulness"-stage. This =20
means not all people are convinced it is useful to have such stuff in =20
our source and someone needs to sit down and do something good to a =20
subsystem to show that it is useful to those people.

> If it's the latter, I'm happy to do the legwork, like set up proper stubs =
for
> each function and structure that people who really know how they work can

I think some people would complain if this would be committed to our =20
version control system without consent, and without those stubs being =20
there I don't expect that the stubs get converted to proper docs. So =20
giving advice to just go ahead may be a waste.

> adjust. There's a lot already in there with normal comments, that can beco=
me
> documentation by simply adding an extra asterisk.

Decide for yourself if you are willing to invest your time to convert =20
the existing docs in the source into doxygen docs. In =20
src/tools/kerneldoc/subsys/ is already a framework to handle the =20
doxygen stuff per subsystem (not all subsystems are done there). It =20
would be most beneficial to start with one of the subsystems which are =20
already available there. In case you want to play around there, send =20
me a mail and I try to get some time to commit some fixes. In case you =20
are interested to work on a subsystem which is not represented there, =20
you can email me too (but it should be easy to copy&modify an existing =20
file). But again, no guarantees that any changes to the source get's =20
committed.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Beware of a tall black man with one blond shoe.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137