Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:11:17 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        d@delphij.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD] Fix for ServerWorks HT1000 in upcoming 7.1?

> > > You can just grab the existing iso,
> >
> > OK
> >
> > > untar it into a directory,
> >
> > OK
> >
> > > build your own GENERIC kernel and replace the
> > > /boot/kernel/kernel in the iso tree,
> >
> > Will I be able to do this using a 7.x checkout on a 6.x box?
>
> You can use 'make kernel-toolchain' followed by 'make buildkernel' on a 6.x
> box to build a 7.x kernel though.
> --
> John Baldwin

John,

thanks for the tip. I have now successfully gone through
the process of making a new bootable CD using the ATA_HT1000
patched kernel.

I have already done a minimal installation of
FreeBSD-7.1-BETA onto the SC1435 PowerEdge box using this CD
(BTW dmesg now shows the ad4 disk being recognized as
SATA150 instead of giving a warning about a bad cable and
recognizing it as an ATA drive).

But I'm stuck at the last step ...

> Just be sure that once you've installed the box,
> you copy the updated kernel onto the box somehow before you
> reboot from the
> installer (you can use the fixit shell to help with this).

I'm at the holographic emergency shell, and df(1) shows all
the partitions in ad4s1 mounted under /mnt. So my idea is to
  cp boot/kernel/kernel /mnt/boot/kernel/
but when I do an ls(1) the /mnt directory appears to be empty ...

However I'm unable to umount it!

My recollection:
$ df -h
/dev/ad4s1a	=> /mnt
/dev/ad4s1d	=> /mnt/tmp
/dev/ad4s1e	=> /mnt/usr
$ ls /mnt/boot
boot: no such file or directory
$ ls /mnt/
. ..
$ umount /mnt
device is busy

I'm now downloading a 7.1-BETA-livefs ISO and I'll try next to boot
the box with this CD to see if I can scp the kernel from
another box ... but any other tip or suggestion is welcome.

Fernan