Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:23:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@kukulies.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting Mac OS .dmg files?

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> Which version of FreeBSD was used in OSX will almost certainly depend on
> which version of MacOS X you look at.
>
> It is quite possible that the latest version of OSX uses code from FreeBSD
> 5.x, but I guarantee that the first release of OSX did not. (This is easily
> seen from the fact the MacOS X 10.0 was first released in March 2001.  The
> latest FreeBSD release at that time was 4.2 (released in November 2000.)
> FreeBSD 5.0 was not released until January 2003.)

It would be accurate to describe Apple's approach to adopting FreeBSD changes
as "cherry-picking" - their source code base is sufficiently diverged from
ours that they basicaly pull our change on an as-needed basis rather than
remaining strictly sync'd to a particular version.  Many of you will have
noticed that articles describing the recent SnowLeopard seed include mention
of pulling the most recent OpenBSM and OpenPAM drops from FreeBSD into Mac OS
X, as examples of recently integrated technologies from recent FreeBSD
versions.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge