Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:01:53 -0500
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI issues on Averatec 3250

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 18:57 -0500, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> I have just put 7-stable on an Averatec 3250HX laptop.  Three things
> connected with ACPI do not work as they should.

[skip]
> 2.  Thermal Zone
>     The thermal zone reporting is not working.
>     From the boot info:
> 	acpi_tz0: <Thermal Zone> on acpi0
>     But sysctl info:
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 0.0C
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 1
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 90.0C
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 110.0C
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC1: 2
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TC2: 4
> 	hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._TSP: 30

About four years ago I have cobbled together thermal zones for Averatec
3150H. Quick look at you ASL shows that they still adjust fan speed
using RTEP() function, which, in turn, gets called from (off all places)
_PSV. The trick is to break RTEP() into pieces at different temperature
levels, create fan devices and plug them into proper _ACx.

I still have modified ASL laying around, but no longer have access to
the laptop to make a diff with the original. If you are interested, I
can send you ASL off list -- it should not be that hard to follow,
especially if you keep thermal chapter of the ACPI spec close at hand
(it is about 13 pages long).

Let me know.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)