Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for a high school class? (long)

Mel Flynn-2 wrote:

> I remember running KDE3 with firefox-1 on a P-III 900 with 256MB, FBSD 4.x
> and
> window switching ('alt-tab') wasn't a joy, being in permanent swap.

Hello.

The key to running KDE3 with PIII is 512MB<=RAM I think. With 768MB RAM and
1400Mhz@1300Mhz PIII I'm not using swap at all (stripped KDE3/7.2-STABLE).
I'm runnig opera-devel, firefox35 (fresh ports tree). If memory serves me
right,
PIII 750/1000Mhz wasn't that bad either. Also, with 512MB it was swapping a
little
only when compiling something heavy. OO.o could be not usable tho.

-best regards,
Jakub Lach