Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2009 03:29:13 -0400
From:      David Horn <dhorn2000@gmail.com>
To:        Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel WiFi 5100/5300

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Bernhard Schmidt
<bschmidt@techwires.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 October 2009 01:11:34 David Horn wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Bernhard Schmidt
>>
>> <bschmidt@techwires.net> wrote:

>> > Update:
>> > * All reported issues should now be fixed, please verify.
>> > * WPA does work.
>>
>> 4965 with mode 11g WPA2/AES works well on 2.4Ghz (Have not tried
>> 5Ghz/11a or 5Ghz/11n)
>>
>> > Still open:
>> > * Test reports welcome, especially with 4965, 5150, 5300 and 5350.
>> >
>> > At this point, if no issue come up, the driver has the same functional=
ity
>> > as the in tree one.
>>
>> Any thoughts on IBSS or 11n mode support ? =A0(I could not get 4965 11ng
>> mode to work, and IBSS support is disabled in the drivercaps) =A0Of
>> course, this is on-par with the in-tree iwn driver as well.
>
> Have not spend time on that one, another time maybe.
>
>> The only new issue I have found so far is that I must manually load
>> iwnfw.ko before loading if_iwn.ko (the module depend used to work on
>> the in-tree driver)
>
> Hmm.. that is probably related to the rename of the firmware image, iwnfw=
-5000
> instead of iwnfw. Is MODULE_DEPEND(iwn, iwnfw, 1, 1, 1); an option there?

MODULE_DEPEND(iwn, iwnfw_fw, 1, 1, 1)

added to if_iwn.c fixes it nicely (note: iwnfw_fw not just iwnfw).  It
turns out the original driver loaded the iwnfw.ko module as part of
firmware_get() since the firmware module name matched the first
firmware image name (see firmware.h comments).  Looking at the other
drivers, the other option is to break up the firmware images into
unique kernel modules (e.g. ral or iwi), and allow firmware_get() to
do the load.  I would think that this would reduce kernel memory usage
as well (several individual firmware modules vs all firmware images in
one module).  Just a thought.

--Dave H