Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2010 22:28:25 -0700
From:      Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: install touching mbr

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 April 2010 21:58:56 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 05:48:12PM -0300, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>> > I just installed a 8.0R amd64 from memstick. when asked, I said to
>> > leave mbr untouched. when I rebooted, it was freebsd bootloader that
>> > was on control. this options is not what I think it should, or there
>> > is really a issue here ?
>>
>> I can confirm this behaviour. =A0Someone may have broken something when
>> tinkering around in that part of sysinstall (since the Standard vs.
>> BootMgr options were moved around compared to previous releases).
>
> I have a patch at http://reviews.freebsdish.org/r/15/ waiting to be commi=
tted.
> I believe the "None" option won't change the bootcode itself but will sti=
ll
> mark the FreeBSD partition as active.
>
> --
> Bruce Cran

I disagree with some of the wording. Specifically, lines 100-102 of
usr.sbin/sade/menus.c

"If you will only have FreeBSD on the machine the boot manager is not
needed and it slows down the boot while offering you the choice of
which operating system to boot."

^^ not 100% true, as the boot manager also provides the option of PXE
booting. This statement seems excessively wordy and unnecessary.

Also, should this be broken up into two patches? One for the change in
sade, the other for sysinstall? I'm not picky about this, but you are
fixing two issues in two separate programs.

-- randi