Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 2010 19:41:03 +0200
From:      Marco =?utf-8?q?Br=C3=B6der?= <marco.broeder@gmx.eu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org>, alepulver@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License Framework: Develop Best Practices

--nextPart3208352.5kGHLaR1Oy

On Tue June 15 2010 23:22:35 Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:46:27AM +0200, Marco Br=C3=B6der wrote:
> > Hello,
> >=20
> > I know the ports license framework is very new and not mature yet.
> >=20
> > But it is not very useful in its current state, because several
> > popular licenses are missing and some license foo is not right /
> > specific enough to be considered legally correct (for example there is
> > no 'one BSD License', there are at least three of them, all legally
> > different). The legal consequences of even very small differences can
> > be very huge. We actually have to make this legally right or the whole
> > thing is useless.
> >=20
> > Some maintainers already added some license foo to their ports. At the
> > moment there is more guessing than knowing what actually should be
> > done from a maintainers point of view. This is especially true for
> > dual / multi / combo licensing (for example 'GPLv2 or any later
> > version' is not really the same as 'GPLv2 or GPLv3' combo).
> >=20
> > Before this even grows, could we please start developing best
> > practices and document them into Porters Handbook, as soon as
> > possible? Thanks!
>=20
> I couldn't agree more. I've been holding off until the Porter's Handbook
> has clear documentation on what maintainers need to know. I've included
> alepulver@ on this as he is the one that wrote the initial support for
> this. I'd hate to see this grow into a mess that has to be cleaned up
> later because there isn't proper documentation for maintainers.
>=20
> Hopefully Alejandro has a PH update in the wings? If not then I guess
> it's up to someone(TM) to do it.
>=20
> -- WXS

I neither saw a reply from alepulver@ nor anything else on this subject. Ar=
e=20
there any further news? There was nothing added to the Porter's Handbook, t=
oo.=20
So I guess the situation did not change within the last months, right?

Unfortunately, with a recent update to one of my ports (the software is -GP=
Lv2=20
or any later version- licensed) the committer added the LICENSE / LICENSE_C=
OMB=20
foo at his own without asking. I find this annoying, because I purposely di=
d=20
not add it. Something like that should be the maintainer's choice, because =
he=20
is also responsible for the port.

I think the LICENSE stuff should generally not be added until the whole=20
subject is clarified and properly documented, which does not seem to be the=
=20
case, especially from the legal point of view.

What should the license framework be? Looks like nobody really seems to car=
e=20
(enough).

Will it remain a legally incorrect and unreliable stuff? Then, there is no=
=20
need to actually care about it and the whole license framework is pretty=20
much useless in a legal sense. But that must be stated explicitly.

Or should it be as correct as possible? Then it is necessary to have the=20
licenses at least correctly defined and used like they exist (see my origin=
al=20
mail quoted above and below, especially the '[L]GPLv2 or any later version'=
=20
and the three BSD licenses).

Will there be an official consensus? Will there be rules or disclaimers for=
=20
maintainer's and committer's responsibility? Will the whole thing be proper=
ly=20
documented in the Porter's Handbook? Will the licenses be correctly defined=
 in=20
'ports/Mk/bsd.licenses.db.mk' or will some of them remain incorrectly=20
simplified?

The license framework could be very nice and actually useful - if=20
properly done ...

> [...]
> > I find it especially important to have a expression for 'version X or
> > any later version' (for example 'LGPLv2+'), since the following dummy
> > example is not adequate:
> >=20
> > LICENSE=3D        LGPLv2 LGPLv2.1 LGPLv3 LGPLv3.1 LGPLv3.2
> > LICENSE_COMB=3D    dual
> >=20
> > ... and so on for every future versions - it does not scale well and
> > has to be changed with every new future version. Instead it should be
> > just 'LGPLv2+' and stay there unchanged forever.
> >=20
> > Here is my suggestion what should be there at a minimum (probably more
> > needed):
> >=20
> > ***
> >=20
> > ARTLv1.0    # Artistic License 1.0
> > ARTLv2.0    # Artistic License 2.0
> >=20
> > ASLv1.1    # Apache License 1.1
> > ASLv2.0    # Apache License 2.0
> >=20
> > BSD-2-clause    # Simplified BSD License
> > BSD-3-clause    # Modified or New BSD License
> > BSD-4-clause    # Original BSD License
> >=20
> > BSLv1.0    # Boost Software License 1.0
> >=20
> > CDDLv1.0    # Common Development and Distribution License 1.0
> >=20
> > EPLv1.0    # Eclipse Public License 1.0
> >=20
> > GFDLv1.1    # GNU Free Documentation License 1.1
> > GFDLv1.2    # GNU Free Documentation License 1.2
> > GFDLv1.3    # GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
> >=20
> > GPLv2    # GNU General Public License 2
> > GPLv2+    # GNU General Public License 2 or any later version
> > GPLv3    # GNU General Public License 3
> > GPLv3+    # GNU General Public License 3 or any later version
> >=20
> > ISC    # ISC License
> >=20
> > LGPLv2    # GNU Lesser General Public License 2
> > LGPLv2+    # GNU Lesser General Public License 2 or any later version
> > LGPLv2.1    # GNU Lesser General Public License 2.1
> > LGPLv2.1+    # GNU Lesser General Public License 2.1 or any later versi=
on
> > LGPLv3    # GNU Lesser General Public License 3
> > LGPLv3+    # GNU Lesser General Public License 3 or any later version
> >=20
> > MIT    # MIT license
> >=20
> > MPLv1.0    # Mozilla Public License 1.0
> > MPLv1.1    # Mozilla Public License 1.1
> >=20
> > PD    # Public Domain license
> >=20
> > X11    # X11 license
> >=20
> > ***
> >=20
> > There are probably more licenses and / or versions to add or to change.
> >=20
> > And there are most likely more issues to discuss ...

=2D-=20
Regards