Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:06:37 +0400
From:      Lystopad Olexandr <laa@laa.zp.ua>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.3-STABLE acpi and mpt problems?

 Hello, John Baldwin!

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 07:55:27AM -0400
jhb@freebsd.org wrote about "Re: 7.3-STABLE acpi and mpt problems?":
> On Wednesday 16 June 2010 7:14:09 am Lystopad Olexandr wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have FreeBSD 7.3-STABLE on Biostar 945GC-M4 motherboard.
> > When I boot with custom kernel it fail to boot on ACPI. FreeBSD box
> > do not respond to any key. But it successfully boots with button 2
> > from boot menu (without acpi).
> >
> > Then I try to boot with GENERIC. Success! Ok, I try comment
> > out one-by-one devices in GENERIC, rebuild and install kernel,
> > and try to boot. My custom kernel boot fine until I comment
> > out mpt device in kernel, but it successfully boots without
> > acpi (button 2 on boot menu). I have no mpt devices in
> > this box. When I insert "device mpt" back to the kernel it boots
> > successfully.
> >
> > Why acpi depends on device mpt? Why this server do not boot without
> > this device?
>
> How does it fail to boot in the non-mpt case?  Does it hang, does it panic?
> If it hangs, can you break into DDB and capture the output of 'ps' and a stack
> trace?  (A serial console is probably useful for this.)

John, thank you very much for your answer.
Sorry for delay.

My freebsd box fails to boot after detecting CPU and memory. It
simply hang. I think this is too early to run ddb or somethig else.

Also, similar problem with this device I detect on two remote bsd
servers in production. After insert mpt device into kernel, that
servers begin boots fine.

--
 Olexandr Lystopad