Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:01:58 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Australian 3G ppp.conf

--Dzs2zDY0zgkG72+7

On 2010-Jul-12 19:43:23 +1000, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >  # Ludicrous number of retries to try and convince it to work without M=
S NBNS
> >  set ipcpretry 3 50
>
>What happens without and with this?  As I read ppp(8), it could take up=20
>to 50 IPCP configreqs at 3 seconds to negotiate IP and/or DNS addresses?

My experience was that the link would sometimes fail to come up.  I'm
not sure why retrying works - it's as if the remote end wants to use
NetBIOS but will occasionally allow a connection without it.  It's
possible that this is no longer required - I haven't tried removing it.

The 3 second timeout isn't really an issue because the remote end will
normally immediately respond - with either an ACK or NACK.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--Dzs2zDY0zgkG72+7

--Dzs2zDY0zgkG72+7--